20 Oct Student Behavior on Buses
Student behavior that distracts bus drivers is a hazard to the vehicle’s safe operation, and jeopardizes the safety and welfare of all passengers. Misbehavior while on a Coastal Bus Line LLC bus can result in disciplinary action for the student or the suspension of transportation service for the student.
To ensure safe, efficient transportation service, students should:
- Arrive at bus stops before the buses are scheduled to arrive.
- Wait in locations clear of traffic and away from the bus stops.
- Behave at the school bus stop so as not to threaten life, limb or property of any individual.
- Go directly to a seat (empty or assigned) so the bus may safely resume motion.
- Remain seated, keeping aisles and exits clear.
- Observe classroom conduct and obey drivers promptly and respectfully.
- Not use profane language.
- Not eat or drink on buses, except as required for medical reasons.
- Not use tobacco on buses.
- Not possess alcohol or drugs on buses, except for required prescription medication.
- Not throw or pass objects on, from or into buses.
- Carry onto buses only objects small enough to be held in their laps.
- Leave or board buses at assigned locations, unless they have parental and administrative authorization to do otherwise.
- Not put heads or arms out bus windows.
When a student does not comply with behavior rules, the bus driver will complete a School Bus Conduct Report. This report will be entered into a database and forwarded to the student’s school administrator.
Code of Conduct
Coastal Bus Line LLC is responsible for ensuring that students follow their school’s code of conduct, and for investigating behavior problems that occur while students are on buses to and from schools. Coastal Bus Line has the authority to suspend students’ bus riding privileges on a temporary or permanent basis.
The following serious safety infractions will cause a student to be immediately removed from bus service for the remainder of the school year:
- Threatening behavior
- Possession of weapons or objects used as a weapon
- Jumping out windows or emergency exits
- Tampering with bus equipment
Incidents Involving Police
When incidents occur that require police involvement – either to remove a student from a bus or to restore order – the following procedure will be followed:
- Students will be removed for the following infractions: fighting, weapons, drugs or other illegal activities.
- Students will be suspended immediately from future bus service pending a conference to be held at the school, which will include all students involved in the bus incident, their parents, a school administrator, and a bus vendor representative.
- At the conference, disciplinary action will be implemented and a plan of action developed to prevent future incidents.
If you have any questions about expected, acceptable behavior, please contact your school administrator or Coastal Bus Line LLC.